And then there were 29. Soon, there will be 30. Major League Soccer continues to grow at a staggering rate for modern sports leagues.
Sacramento was awarded team No. 29, becoming the latest city to win an MLS expansion team after years of trying. As a result, the league's continental footprint continues to grow, adding a fourth club in California in a city that has long hoped to make the jump.
In 2009, MLS was made up of 15 teams. It has nearly doubled in size in a decade.
Here's a timeline of the latest expansion clubs which have joined the league beginning in 2010:
- 2010 (16 teams): Philadelphia Union
- 2011 (18 teams): Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps
- 2012 (19 teams): Montreal Impact
- 2015 (20 teams): NYCFC, Orlando City
- 2017 (22 teams): Atlanta United, Minnesota United
- 2018 (23 teams): LAFC
- 2019 (24 teams): FC Cincinnati
- 2020 (26 teams): Inter Miami CF, Nashville SC
- 2021 (27 teams): Austin FC
- 2022 (29 teams): St.