OXFORD, Miss. – The University of South Alabama soccer team converted two second-half penalties – one each from junior Ana Helmert and sophomore Brenna McPartlan – to give the Jaguars a 2-1 victory over Ole Miss Sunday afternoon at the Ole Miss Soccer Stadium.
The Jags move to 5-2-1 on the year while the Rebels have their five-match win streak snapped to drop to 6-2.
- Ole Miss nearly got on the board midway through the first period when a header from Molly Martin was saved off the line by sophomore Tilly Wilkes
- The two teams went into halftime tied at 0-0 despite the Rebels holding an 8-5 advantage in shots and a combined seven shots on goal
- At 48:04, Helmert tucked her penalty into the upper right corner
- Thirteen minutes later, senior Briana Morris drew a penalty and McPartlan put hers into the bottom right corner for a 2-0 advantage
- The Rebels halved the lead at 64:58 after Madisyn Pezzino blasted a left-footed shot from the top of the box into the top right corner
- A bouncing effort from Sydney Michalak was saved off the crossbar by senior Justice Stanford at 68:24
- Helmert forced a diving save from Ashley Orkus in the 73rd minute
- South Alabama did not have an attempt in the final 17 minutes and were outshot 4-0 in that span, including one with 40 seconds left that was blocked by Wilkes
- Stanford made six saves, while Orkus had five
- The shots were 17-10 in favor of Ole Miss, but the shots on goal were tied 7-7
- South Alabama has won two of the last three meetings, with both wins coming in Oxford
- Helmert's penalty was the first of her career
- McPartlan is now 3 for 5 from the spot in her two seasons, including 2 for 3 this year
- The Jaguars ended a nine-match winless streak against the SEC since 2017
- The Rebels held a 56%-44% advantage in possession
- USA's 24 goals this season matches the team's total from all of 2018
THEY SAID IT
Head Coach Richard Moodie
Overall thoughts: "Firstly, with everything that's been going on with (Ole Miss head coach) Matt Mott's father passing, it's been a crazy week for Ole Miss.