SAN MARCOS, Texas – University of South Alabama junior Ana Helmert scored in the 109th minute to give the Jaguars a 1-0 double-overtime victory over Texas State Thursday night at the Bobcat Soccer Complex.
The Jags win their Sun Belt opener and improve to 6-2-1 and 1-0. The Bobcats drop their third straight at fall to 4-4-1, 0-1.
- South Alabama peppered the Texas State goal with seven shots before halftime, including three on goal, but was unable to hit the back of the net
- The Bobcats held a 6-5 advantage in shots in the second half, but only put one on target
- Graduate Athanasia Moraitou had an opportunity for the Jags just before the end of regulation, but missed high
- Texas State recorded the only two shots in the first overtime, both in the first three minutes by Kaylee Davis and Jordan Kondikoff, but missed wide right and left, respectively
- USA sophomore Brenna McPartlan tested TXST goalkeeper Heather Martin early in the second extra frame, but Martin came up with the save
- Helmert's game-winner came at the 108:04 mark off a corner kick from freshman Gracie Wilson
- Tonight's game was a matchup between the top two preseason favorites in the conference; Texas State was the preseason pick to win the title
- The match was delayed almost an hour in the second half due to lightning
- South Alabama is 1-0 in league play for the sixth straight season, and unbeaten in seven consecutive league openers
- USA is 6-1-2 all-time vs.