49ers Head Coach Jim Tomsula is switching up the game plan, and in preparation for Blaine Gabbert's anticipated start this Sunday, here are 10 you need to know about the starting quarterback.
1. Born in Ballwin Missouri and played for the Mizzou Tigers.
2. Did not redshirt his freshman year opting to be the third string QB. Saw action as a true freshman, and went 3-for-10 against Colin Kapernick and the wolfpack in 2008.
3. Named starting QB as a sophomore in 2009, and remained the starting QB until he entered the draft in 2011. Gabbert's overall record was 18-8 (10-6 Big 12).
3. Decided to forgo his 2011 senior year and instead enter the NFL Draft.
4. Selected in the first round of the NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars as the tenth overall pick.
5. Was the third QB selected, and was 26 picks ahead of Colin Kaepernick.
6. Holds the Jacksonville record for most rookie starts at QB. (14 in 2011)
7. Is the youngest QB in NFL history to start at least 13 games.
8. Traded to San Francisco in 2014, in return Jacksonville received a 6th round pick.
9. Is currently in the first year of a two-year contract worth $2 million
10. Has not started a game since October 6, 2013 and has a NFL career record of 5-22.
Gabbert will not be able to save the 49ers from a dismal season, but if he is able to spot a wide open receiver he will be an upgrade from what we have experienced with Colin Kaepernick since week one against Minnesota.Back to the San Francisco 49ers Newsfeed