Jim Harbaugh is at the University of Michigan now. That says everything you need to know about the San Francisco 49ers' season. It wasn't a terrible years, but it wasn't good enough for a squad only a few seasons removed from nearly winning the Super Bowl. Getting healthy will be a big step, but the 49ers have a massive hole at head coach. Whoever the 49ers tab will have massive shoes to fill.
Updated Jan. 11
Projected Salary Cap Space (via Spotrac):
1. Defensive end: Ray McDonald was cut and Justin Smith might retire. Tony Jerod-Eddie wasn’t ready and probably isn’t the answer anyway. Perhaps Tank Carradine will get a shot, but the 49ers need help here.
2. Wide Receiver: Stevie Johnson played well, but didn’t get that many snaps. Cutting him would save over $6 million. Anquan Boldin is aging, while Michael Crabtree and Brandon Lloyd are free agents. Bruce Ellington is intriguing, but another draft pick could be spent here.
3. Offensive guard: Mike Iupati is a free agent. He didn’t have his best season, but he needs to be resigned.
4. Cornerback: The 49ers have three corners who are entering free agency (see below). They can't afford to lose Perrish Cox and Chris Culliver.
5. Running back: Frank Gore is a free agent. He likely won’t be back, which leaves Carlos Hyde as the top back. Finding someone to pair with him would make sense.
6. Quarterback: Colin Kaepernick is the starter for the forseeable future, but a backup is needed. Blaine Gabbert and Josh Johnson are both free agents.
Potential Cap Casualties:
WR Stevie Johnson: potential savings of roughly $6 million
*All figures via Spotrac
QB Blaine Gabbert
QB Josh Johnson
RB Frank Gore
RB Alfonso Smith
RB Phillip Tanner
WR Michael Crabtree
WR Brandon Lloyd
WR Kassim Osgood
TE Garrett Celek (RFA)
OG Mike Iupati
DE Tony Jerod-Eddie (ERFA)
OLB Desmond Bishop
OLB Dan Skuta
MLB Michael Wilhoite (ERFA)
CB Chris Cook
CB Perrish Cox
CB Chris Culliver
S Chance Casey (ERFA)
S Raymond Ventrone
LS Kyle Nelson
Round 7 (from Colts) (conditional)
*49ers will also likely end up sending a fourth to the Eagles, via the Bills
— HC Jim Harbaugh took the same position at the Univeristy of Michigan (12-29)