SAINTS QB DREW BREES, GIANTS DE JASON PIERRE-PAUL &
49ERS K DAVID AKERS NAMED NFC PLAYERS OF MONTH FOR DECEMBER/JANUARY
For the latest 49ers rumors, check out Chat49ers - 49ers rumors
SPECIAL TEAMS: K DAVID AKERS, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
• Akers led the NFL with 58 points and 16 field goals during the month as the 49ers went 4-1 and won the NFC West. He also threw his first career touchdown pass (14 yards) in San Francisco’s Week 17 win.
• He had an NFL-record 44 field goals and finished the season with 166 kicking points, passing GARY ANDERSON (164 in 1998) for the most in a single season in NFL history. Only two other players have held that mark over the past 40 years – JIM TURNER (1968-82) and MARK MOSELEY (1983-97).
• His 166 points are the most in a single season in franchise history, surpassing the mark set by Pro Football Hall of Fame wide receiver JERRY RICE (138 in 1987).
For the best 49ers rumors coverage, follow us on Twitter - @chat49ers
• Akers, who was selected to his sixth Pro Bowl, was named the NFC Special Teams Player of Weeks 16 and 17.
• In his 13th season from Louisville, this is Akers’ fifth career Player of the Month Award. He was honored four times as a member of the Philadelphia Eagles (Nov. 2000, Oct. 2007, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010).
• Akers is the first player in franchise history to be named Special Teams Player of the Month.
2011 NFC PLAYERS OF THE MONTH
Offense Defense Special Teams
September QB Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay LB Sean Lee, Dallas K Jason Hanson, Detroit
October QB Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay DE Jared Allen, Minnesota PR-KR Devin Hester, Chicago
November QB Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay DE Julius Peppers, Chicago PR-CB Patrick Peterson, Arizona
Dec./Jan. QB Drew Brees, New Orleans DE Jason Pierre-Paul, N.Y. Giants K David Akers, San FranciscoBack to the San Francisco 49ers Newsfeed