From now until the 2017 NFL Draft takes place, we hope to showcase as many prospects as possible and examine both their strengths and weaknesses. Most of these profiles will feature individuals that the Pittsburgh Steelers are likely to have an interest in, while a few others will be top-ranked players. If there is a player you would like us to analyze, let us know in the comments below.
Dawuane Smoot/OLB Illinois – 6’3/1 264
– Looks the part, fills out frame and has excellent length (33 1/4 inch arms)
– Uses hands really well, advanced in that area compared to most others, and does well to stay clean
– Not a great athlete but bends the edge well and shows ability to dip/rip and flatten the edge
– Strong at the POA against the run on the edge and does well to keep vision on the football, shows the ability to work off blocks
– Overall, gap sound and experience one and two-gapping
– Smart pass rusher, good IQ, and ability to counter the tackle’s set
– Has experience on both end spots and kicked inside on 3rd downs
– High effort player
– Statistically productive though not overwhelming career
– Average athlete and get off as a pass rusher
– Tested average to below average (4.