Back to the Philadelphia Union Newsfeed

Coroner: Skaggs died after accidental overdose

Los Angeles Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs died from an accidental overdose of drugs and alcohol, a medical examiner in Texas has ruled.

The 27-year-old Skaggs was found dead in his hotel room in the Dallas area July 1. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office said in a report released Friday that Skaggs had the powerful painkillers fentanyl and oxycodone, along with alcohol, in his system.

Skaggs' family released a statement on Friday suggesting a team employee was part of the investigation into the death.

"We are heartbroken to learn that the passing of our beloved Tyler was the result of a combination of dangerous drugs and alcohol," the statement said.