Season Summary:A late-season swoon cost the Eagles a playoff berth. Of course, injuries played a major role in that. They should be back in the playoff hunt again next season. They don't have much cap space, but don't have many needs either.
Updated Jan. 14
Projected Salary Cap Space (via Spotrac):
1. Cornerback: There is some recency bias with Bradley Fletcher that makes him look worse than he is, but he still needs to be upgraded. He’s a free agent too. Cary Williams isn’t anything special either.
2. Wide Receiver: Jeremy Maclin had a great season, but is a free agent. Jordan Matthews showed flashes, but the team needs more options.
3. Offensive guard: The Eagles could use a guard to replace the Andrew Gardner/Todd Herremans combo.
4. Safety: Nate Allen has been a solid starter, but is a free agent.
5. Quarterback: Mark Sanchez is a free agent and Nick Foles might not be the longterm option.
6. Outside linebacker: Brandon Graham played very well as a backup. The Eagles could bring him back or play Marcus Smith instead.
Potential Cap Casualties:
TE Brent Celek: potential savings of $4.8 million
TE James Casey: potential savings of $4 million
CB Nolan Carroll: potential savings of $2.9 million
*All figures via Spotrac
QB Mark Sanchez
RB Chris Polk (RFA)
WR Jeremy Maclin
WR Jeff Maehl (RFA)
WR Brad Smith
DE Cedric Thorton (RFA)
OLB Brandon Graham
MLB Casey Matthews
CB Bradley Fletcher
S Nate Allen
Round 4 (From 49ers) (Via Bills)