Unlike the previous week, week 5 saw underdogs go a very strong 8-5 ATS (Saints/Bears was a pk), including 6 outright wins.
Let's take a look at the highlights:
- Peyton Manning is still really, really, really good. After blowing a 15 point 3rd quarter lead, Manning (aided by a classic Romo pick) guided the Broncos to 10 points in the final 2:39 of play for a 51-48 win. The line was Denver -7.5 so Cowboy backers got the cover. Cowboys cover the +7.5
- Peyton who? That's what Colts fans are saying following their teams 34-28 win over the mighty Seahawks. Andrew Luck led the underdog Colts to 11 Q4 points while the Indy defense blanked Seattle in the final stanza for a milestone victory for a team that just two years ago had the worst record in the NFL. It's amazing what a franchise QB can do for you (just ask a Cleveland fan like myself). Colts cover the +2.5.
- The plight of the Giants continues. The G-men committed four more turnovers and allowed 14 Q4 points to the Eagles, on their way to a 36-21 home defeat. NYG has now turned it over an amazing 17 times through five games on their way to a 0-5 record straight up and ATS. Anyone feel like backing them on Thursday against the Bears? Eagles cover the +1.5
- The Bengals (+2) battled one god with the help of another in staving off the visiting Patriots. The Pats had two opportunities in the last 3:26 of play to tie the score at 13 but couldn't pull through. To make things interesting, as the Pats were starting their final drive the man upstairs decided to unleash a torrent of rain not seen since Noah was building his mega-yacht. This resulted in Tom Brady looking more like Jan Brady in tossing several lame ducks on the drive, the last of which ended up in the hands of the Bengals. Bengals cover the +2.
- San Diego (-6) did their best Giants impression in turning the ball over five times in a late Sunday night special in Oakland. The Raiders nearly blew a 24-3 Q4 lead before stopping the Chargers in the red zone on several occasions late in the game. Oakland covers the +4.
- The Falcons (-9.5) kept with their disappointing ways at home, allowing Geno Smith to drive the Jets 55 yards into FG range with less than two minutes remaining for the 30-28 W. Jets cover the -9.5.
- Andy Reid continues to work his magic in Kansas City. The Chiefs (-3) blew a 13-point 2H lead before scoring 13 unanswered Q4 points in taking down the Titans in Nashville. Chiefs cover the -3.
- Drew Brees and the Saints (pk) improved to 5-0 (4-1 ATS), holding off the Bears for a 26-18 win in Chicago. So much for that system of fading dome teams on the road in outdoor venues. Saints win the pick 'em.
- Aaron Rodgers upgraded to grill class, leading the Packers (-10) to a 22-9 home win over the Lions. Packers cover the -10.
- The Browns and Bills played a game of "my backup QB is better than yours" in a Thursday night shootout which saw Cleveland (-3.5) emerge with a 37-24 victory. Browns cover the -3.5.
This weeks spreads:
NY Giants +9.5 at Chicago -9.5, Total 47
Detroit -2.5 at Cleveland +2.5, Total 45
Philadelphia PK at Tampa Bay PK, Total 46
St. Louis +8.5 at Houston -8.5, Total 43
Oakland +10 at Kansas City -10, Total 40.5
Green Bay -2.5 at Baltimore +2.5, Total 48
Carolina +1 at Minnesota -1, Total 43.5
Cincinnati -8.5 at Buffalo +8.5, Total 42
Pittsburgh PK at NY Jets PK, Total 40.5
Jacksonville +26.5 at Denver -28, Total 54 (Biggest spread in NFL History!)
Tennessee +14.5 at Seattle -14.5, Total 40
New Orleans +2.5 at New England -2.5, Total 49.5
Arizona +12.5 at San Francisco -12.5, Total 41.5
Washington +7 at Dallas -7, Total 53
Indianapolis PK at San Diego PK, Total 49
Jason Cellura is a handicapping expert and is CEO and Founder of BookDogger, a social sports book that allows groups of friends to test their skills picking games against each other. Sign up for an account today.Back to the NFL Newsfeed