Well, the Rex Ryan era is over (at least in New York) and GM John Idzik was canned too. While many players wanted Ryan to stay, an impotent offense was the death blow for Ryan. While the defense was decent, improvements can be made on that side of the ball. As for the offense, finding a quarterback is a must. The season-finale win over the Miami Dolphins might end up costing the Jets Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston. And that's just classic Jets.
Updated Jan. 13
Projected Cap Space (via Spotrac):
1. Quarterback: Mike Vick is a free agent and Geno Smith is clearly not the answer. The new staff will have a chance to choose their quarterback.
2. Cornerback: Kyle Wilson (free agent) has underachieved and Dee Miliner has been banged up. Darrin Walls was actually okay, but the Jets should consider adding two more players.
3. Offensive Guard: The Jets need an upgrade over Willie Colon. He’s a free agent anyway.
4. Middle linebacker: David Harris is a free agent. The Jets need to either resign him or find a replacement.
5. Outside linebacker: Jason Babin was an effective situational pass rusher and Calvin Pace was good against the run. Finding a younger player who can do both would be nice.
6. Safety: Resigning Dawan Landry and Jaiquawn Jarrett is important.
7. Long snapper: Tanner Purdum is a free agent and received a poor grade from Pro Football Focus.
8 Running back: Ivory and Johnson are an okay tandem, but adding a workhorse would be nice. Both, in theory, could be cap casualties. Bilal Powell is a free agent too.
9. Wide Receiver: Some depth could be added.
Potential Cap Casualites (via Spotrac):
RB Chris Johnson: potential savings of $3.25 million
RB Chris Ivory: potential savings of $2 million
QB Matt Simms (RFA)
QB Mike Vick
RB Bilal Powell
FB John Conner
WR Greg Salas
WR Chris Owusu (ERFA)
OT Benjamin Ijalana
OG Willie Colon
DT Kenrick Ellis
DT Damon Harrison (RFA)
DE Jason Babin (Team option)
DE Jermaine Cunningham
DE Leger Douzable
MLB Nick Bellore
MLB David Harris
CB Phillip Adams
CB Kyle Wilson
S Jaiquawn Jarrett
S Dawan Landry
LS Tanner Purdum
*Jets owe Seahawks a fourth round pick if they resign Percy Harvin and a sixth rounder if they don’t. The pick will likely be a sixth rounder.
**Via Pro Sports Transactions
— Hired HC Todd Bowles (1-13)
— Hired GM Mike Maccagnan (1-13)
— Fired HC Rex Ryan (12-29)
— Fired GM John Idzik (12-29)