The New York Giants went 6-10 last season, nearly costing Tom Coughlin his job. But, he's back for another season and the Giants might just be able to turn those six wins into more and make another playoff run. Taking care of some issues on the defensive side of the ball is the first step for sending the 68-year-old Coughlin out a winner.
Updated Jan. 10
Projected Cap Space (via Spotrac):
1. Defensive end: Jason Pierre-Paul is a free agent, and isn’t the pass rusher he was when he first entered the league. Mathias Kiwanuka was terrible last year, while Cullen Jenkins and Robert Ayers are best saved as situational pass rushers. Damontre Moore is worth a longer look, but the Giants could be in trouble if JPP walks.
2. Defensive tackle: Johnanthan Hankins had one hell of year, but Mike Patterson did not. Patterson is also a free agent and the team needs depth.
3. Middle linebacker: Jon Beason is talented, but can’t stay healthy. The Giants need a better option than the mediocre Jameel McClain in case Beason goes down.
4. Safety: Antrel Rolle is a free agent and didn't grade well on Pro Football Focus. Starting free safety Stevie Brown was serviceable, but is a free agent. Backup Quintin Demps is also a free agent.
5. Outside linebacker: Devon Kennard was strong, but the combo of Spencer Paysinger and Jacquian Williams didn’t set the world on fire. They’re also both free agents.
6. Center: J.D. Walton was very not good last season. The Giants might turn to Weston Richburg at center.
7. Cornerback: Finding some better depth behind Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Prince Amukamara would be nice.
8. Offensive guard: Richburg struggled, but he was just a rookie. John Jerry is a veteran and was even worse. Jerry is a free agent too. The Giants were without Adam Snyder, who is serviceable, and Geoff Schwartz, who is one of their better lineman. Getting those two back will help shore up the interior.
9. Tight ends: Larry Donnell is an exclusive rights free agent and Daniel Fells is an unrestricted free agent. The two mesh well (Fells the run blocker and Donnell the pass catcher) and the Giants should resign both.
RB Chris Ogbonnaya
FB Henry Hynoski
WR Jerrel Jernigan
WR Kevin Ogletree
TE Daniel Fells
TE Larry Donnell (ERFA)
OG James Brewer
OG John Jerry
OG Adam Snyder
DT Mike Patterson
DE Jason Pierre-Paul
OLB Spencer Paysinger
OLB Jacquian Williams
CB Zackary Bowman
CB Chykie Brown
CB Chandler Fenner (ERFA)
CB Mike Harris (RFA)
CB Walter Thurmond
S Stevie Brown
S Quiten Demps
S Antrel Rolle
Potential Cap Casualties:
DE Miathas Kiwanuka: potential savings of roughly $4.8 million
*All figures from Spotrac
Round 7 (Denver)
Back to the New York Giants Newsfeed