In the inaugural look at the Chat Sports fan rankings, it’s “Go Blue” with Michigan fans claiming the top spot. But will it last?
With kickoff two weeks away and pre-season rankings on everyone's mind, we took a look at how you, the fans, stack up against the fans of other schools. In the inaugural Chat Sports fan rankings, Michigan fans appear to be the most active on the Internet, which is also what TicketCity’s Most Engaged Fans ranking found.
Unlike that poll or the AP Football poll, in Chat Sports rankings, you, the fans, get to “play” for bragging rights going forward. Throughout the college football season, fans can earn points to help their school claim the title of most rabid fanbase on the Internet.
How to “play” for your team
Fans can earn points by bringing their passion for their team to Chat Sports. Every time you read about your school, follow another user, comment on an article or share news with your friends, you'll earn points for your favorite team. Click here for the full list of ways you can earn points.
What you’re playing for
What, a title worth “bragging rights” isn't good enough for you? Yeah, we get that. That’s why fans of the overall winner and highest-ranking team in each conference will win some cool prizes - like taking over the Chat Sports twitter handle for a game, changing the Chat Sports logo to your team colors, or scoring some t-shirts. Click here for the official list of prizes.
The Pre-Season Rankings*
|Overall Rank||School||Points||Chat Sports Rank||Social Media Rank||Facebook Likes||Twitter Followers|
|2||Ohio State Buckeyes||6650||2||9||1,364,442||34,881|
|3||Alabama Crimson Tide||6638||3||7||444,532||83,563|
|4||Notre Dame Fighting Irish||6388||4||15||367,914||52,534|
|6||Michigan State Spartans||6150||8||13||444,978||50,454|
|7||North Carolina Tar Heels||6100||12||3||701,437||129,412|
|16||Penn State Nittany Lions||5375||14||27||229,532||32,202|
|18||Boston College Eagles||5050||5||68||14,911||9,312|
|20||Duke Blue Devils||4863||17||37||416,775||11,039|
|22||Virginia Tech Hokies||4813||14||50||124,422||13,115|
|24||Texas A&M Aggies||4588||28||15||417,358||37,338|
* Rankings formula is based on a weighted average of user engagement on Chat Sports (measured by followers, social activity, and web traffic) and social media influence through both athletic department and team specific Facebook pages and Twitter handles.
- Join (or login to) Chat Sports
- Follow your favorite teams
- Follow your friends
- Gain your own followers
- Share content with your friends
- Chat (Sports) with @mentions in article comment boxes
- Share a link for the Dean’s List
- Snapchat us at chatsports
- The Chat Sports banner in your school colors
- Take over the Chat Sports Twitter handle for a game
- Take over your rival team's Twitter handle for the big game
- A cameo on the Dean’s List for the day
- The chance to show your school spirit to to Chat Sports' snapchat followers
- Chat Sports T-Shirts
- Chat Sports water bottles
- Chat Sports stress (basket)balls
Back to the NCAA Newsfeed