Much like the Chargers, the Kansas City Chiefs just missed out on a playoff berth. Alex Smith is one of the better game managers in the NFL, but the Chiefs need to find a few more weapons for him. That starts at wide receiver, where the Chiefs had a whopping zero touchdowns. Kansas City is short on cap space, so they'll need to make some cuts or restructure some contracts.
Updated Jan. 13
Projected Salary Cap Space (via Spotrac):
1. Wide Receiver: Dwayne Bowe is highly paid, but hasn’t produced much. In fact, the whole receiving corps hasn’t produced. A vertical threat is desperately needed.
2. Offensive guard: Zach Fulton, Mike McGylnn and Jeff Linkenbach played most of the snaps at guard, and they combined for a negative 53 grade on Pro Football Focus. At least one new starter is needed.
3. Center: Rodney Hudson was good last year, but is a free agent.
4. Offensive tackle: Eric Fisher wasn’t great, but he’s still young and developing. Right tackle Ryan Harris is a free agent and was below average, per Pro Football Focus.
5. Middle linebacker: Getting Derrick Johnson back will help shore up the spot, but other starter Josh Mauga is a free agent who struggled last season.
6. Safety: Hopefully Eric Berry can return soon, but the Chiefs should approach the position as if he won’t be back. Ron Parker probably isn’t the ideal starter.
7. Cornerback: Sean Smith is a keeper and Phillip Gaines has potential, but the Chiefs need more options at corner.
8. Outside linebacker: Justin Houston was incredible last season, but is a free agent. The team drafted Dee Ford last year, but he’d be a downgrade. That’s not a knock against Ford; Houston is just one of the best 3-4 OLBs in the NFL.
Potential Cap Casualties:
DE Mike DeVito: potential savings of $4 million
QB Chase Daniel: potential savings of $3.8 million
WR Donnie Avery: potential savings of $3.55 million
WR A.J. Jenkins: potential savings of roughly $1.4 million
*All figures from Spotrac
RB Joe McKnight
WR Jason Avant
WR Frankie Hammond (ERFA)
WR Junior Hemingway (ERFA)
TE Richard Gordon
TE Demetrius Harris (ERFA)
OT Ryan Harris
OG Jeff Linkenbach
C Rodney Hudson
DT Kevin Vickerson
OLB Justin Houston
OLB Josh Martin (ERFA)
OLB Dezman Moses (RFA)
MLB Josh Mauga
CB Christopher Owens
S Kurt Coleman
S Kelcie McCray (RFA)
S Ron Parker
LS Thomas Gafford
— Signed QB Terrelle Pryor (1-8)
— Signed WR Da'Rick Rogers (1-8)
— Signed OT Derek Sherrod (12-30)
Back to the Kansas City Chiefs Newsfeed