Quarterback Cam Newton have carried the Carolina Panthers to an extremely impressive season, become just the fourth team in NFL history to go 14-0 - the first to do so in the NFC. He has made the leap from average quarterback to a truly elite one this year, and is the overwhelming favorite to bring home his first MVP award. Here are five stats and records Newtown know holds that show just how dominant he has been this season, and throughout his career:
5) Newton is the first player in NFL history to have five straight seasons with 3,000 or more passing yards and 500 or more rushing yards. He has accomplished that feat every season he's been in the league, including 3,402 passing yards and 580 rushing yards this season.
4) He became the first QB ever to throw five touchdown passes and rush for 100 yards or more in Carolina's 38-35 win over the New York Giants on Sunday.
3) Newton is tied for second in NFL history with three games with five touchdown passes or more in a season. All three games have come after Week 11 this year.
2) He needs just 195 yards to set the NFL record for most total yards in his first five seasons in the league, passing Peyton Manning's mark of 21,174 yards. Newton should accomplish that feat this weekend against the Falcons.
1) Newton is the player in history to go 14-0 in a season at the FBS level (Auburn) and 14-0 in the NFL. No matter how you slice it, Newton is a winner, and has been everywhere he has played.
Cam Newton is also close to becoming the Panthers' first-ever MVP winner and could lead them to their first Super Bowl title. There were many doubts about Newton when Carolina took him with the first overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, but it's clear he's been everything the Panthers could have wanted - and more.Back to the Carolina Panthers Newsfeed