Things got weird for the Buffalo Bills once the season ended. First, quarterback Kyle Orton pulled a Good Will Hunting when he retired. Then, Doug Marrone opted out of his contract and the Bills hired Rex Ryan to replace him. Buffalo has to find a quarterback for Ryan, but at the very least, Ryan should be great for a few sound bites. Not having a first round pick is a killer for the Bills.
Updated Jan. 14
Projected Salary Cap Space (via Spotrac):
1. Quarterback: Kyle Orton retired and unless the Bills plan on turning back to E.J. Manuel, they’ll need to find a new starter.
2. Safety: Da’Norris Searcy got a higher grade than Aaron Williams from Pro Football Focus, but Searcy is a free agent. The Bills should bring him back.
3. Offensive guard: Erik Pears struggled last season and is a free agent. Kraig Urbik could be cut. Cyril Richardson could be the answer at one spot.
4. Defensive end: Jerry Hughes was solid, but is a free agent. Some depth is needed too.
5. Middle linebacker: Brandon Spikes played well last season, but is a free agent. He’ll need to be brought back, unless the Bills want to move Kiko Alonso back to the middle once he gets healthy.
6. Tight end: Scott Chandler isn't that great. The Bills should try to find an upgrade if they can.
Potential Cap Casualties:
OG Kraig Urbik: potential savings of roughly $2.3 million
OLB Keith Rivers: potential savings of $1.7 million
*All figures via Spotrac
RB C.J. Spiller (Player option)
RB Marcus Thigpen (RFA)
WR Marcus Easley
WR Chris Hogan (ERFA)
WR Deonte Thompson
TE Lee Smith
OG Erik Pears
OT Chris Hairston
DT Corbin Bryant (ERFA)
DE Jerry Hughes
DE Jarius Wynn
OLB Larry Dean
MLB Brandon Spikes
MLB Stevenson Sylvester
S Da’Norris Searcy
P Jordan Gay (ERFA)
Round 5 (From Bucs)
*Bills will likely owe a 4th rounder to the Eagles. Pick came from 49ers.
— Hired Greg Roman as OC (1-13)
— Hired Rex Ryan as HC (1-12)
— HC Doug Marrone opted out of contract (12-31)
— QB Kyle Orton retired (12-29)