Most of the Red Sox roster is under team control without any long-term commitment from the organization. The team currently has just eight players signed to long-term deals. They range from a staff ace to a platoon first baseman to a minor league outfielder.
Here’s a breakdown:
• Terms: Seven years, $217 million
• Time frame: 2016-22, opt out after 2018
• Skinny: Dave Dombrowski’s biggest financial splash as president of baseball operations was the richest contract ever given to a pitcher.
• Terms: Eight years, $110 million
• Time frame: 2014-21
• Skinny: Pedroia was already under contract for 2014 and ’15 when the team signed him to a fresh extension through his 38th birthday.