Back to the Big 12 Newsfeed

Former Texas LB Jake Ehlinger Died of Accidental Overdose, Family Says

Related Topics: Texas, Dave Wilson

The family of Jake Ehlinger said in a statement Thursday that the former Texas linebacker died of an accidental overdose, via ESPN's Dave Wilson.

Ehlinger was believed to have taken Xanax "laced with toxic drugs including deadly Fentanyl."

"The spread of counterfeit pills is an ongoing and significant issue throughout our country, particularly in schools, colleges, and universities," the family added in a statement.

The Texas sophomore was found dead in a residential area near campus in May.

This article will be updated to provide more information on this story as it becomes available.