Alabama defensive backs Jordan Battle and Josh Jobe have been tabbed to the 2021 Jim Thorpe Award Watch List, the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced on Monday.
Battle and Jobe are part of a group of 40 defensive backs from around the country named to the preseason list. Alabama has had two Thorpe winners in program history, first with Antonio Langham in 1993. Minkah Fitzpatrick was the Crimson Tide’s most recent recipient, bringing home the award in 2017.
Defensive Back, Junior
- One of the nation’s top safeties who played a key role on the Tide defense as a freshman before taking on a starting role last season
- Played in 13 games with 12 starts to finish third on the 2020 defense in tackles with 66, including three for loss (-7 yards)
- Added four pass breakups and a pick-six that he returned from 45-yards out for a score in his sophomore campaign
- Played in all 13 games as a freshman with four starts
- Recorded 30 tackles with a pair of tackles for loss (-6 yards) and one sack (-4 yards) to go with one pass breakup, an interception and a fumble recovery in 2019
Defensive Back, Senior
- Excelled in his first season as a full-time starter, earning Honorable Mention All-America honors from Pro Football Focus in 2020
- Totaled 55 tackles as a junior, including 2.