We are now into the BORING time of year for Michigan football, and for sports in general. So, no better time than now for us to dish out the latest Michigan football rumors that have come across the Chat Sports rumor desk this week. Now, we have not confirmed all of these to be 100% truth, hence why they are called rumors, but we do confirm with 2 sources ‘in the know’ before we publish them. Our presence is strong in Ann Arbor and plan to make this a weekly feature for Michigan fans.
Enjoy, you gossipers of the interwebs.
- Rumor: Denard Robinson is picking up Al Borges offense very quickly in the off-season and is pulling away from Devin Gardner. Robinson was given a very detailed training regimen and set of plays to work on with his receivers. Shoelace has been the ultimate gym rat since spring ball and is set to explode this season in the passing game, our insiders say.
- Rumor: Coaches are not impressed with any of the current running backs on the roster and have every intention of giving incoming freshman Thomas Rawls a shot at being the opening game starter.
- Rumor: Recruiting is exploding! Michigan is feeling very confident about their recruitment of one time Ohio State commitments 4* RB Bri’onte Dunn from Canton, OH and 5* OT Kyle Kalis from Cleveland. Dunn is seen as a very likely candidate to pledge to Michigan this summer, while Kalis may be more of a battle, with Notre Dame and others vying hard for his services. Both players de-committed from OSU this week. Cheaters never prosper.
- Rumor: After his visit to Ann Arbor this week, 2012 Tempe, Ariz., five-star offensive tackle Andrus Peat is quietly listing Michigan as his favorite. He headed to Notre Dame after the Michigan visit and his tweets after both were quiet different. Expect Peat to pledge to Michigan prior to the beginning of his senior season. Follow Peat on Twitter here: @AndrusPeat
- Rumor: Michigan’s offensive line is buying into the new teachings of Coach Darrell Funk and veteran U-M football insiders think that this group can grow into a dominate O-line of the past. One insider we spoke with said that this line potentially has 3 1st rounders in the current 2-deep of the O-line.
- Rumor: U-M AD Dave Brandon is finalizing plans for ‘something huge’ for the ND game under the lights. Our source couldn’t speculate, but said it would be something that has never been done in NCAA football. Possibilities?: No one is saying enough to speculate further, but knowing Brandon, this is very exciting.
- Rumor: Lloyd Carr worked behind the scenes to block Jim Harbaugh from getting the Michigan coaching job, going as far as telling people in Harbaugh’s camp that he would publicly denounce the hire if Harbaugh didn’t apologize endlessly for his anti-Michigan comments a few years back.
- Confirmed Rumor: Straight from the most impeccable source out there. Michigan offered the coaching job to 2 people prior to bringing on Brady Hoke: Jim Harbaugh and John Harbaugh, in that order. Both brothers were offered more per year than they will make at their NFL gigs this year but couldn’t pass up the chance to compete against each other at the highest level. John Harbaugh has not ruled out the possibility of becoming the head man down the road if his good pal Brady Hoke gets the job done and leaves a stock cupboard in AA. ***Both Harbaugh brothers are huge fans of Brady Hoke and think he will be hugely successful.***
- Rumor: From the ‘who cares’ department . . . former coach Rich Rodriguez has told quite a few sources, namely Mike Barwis, to be prepared to move to Clemson to become a part of his coaching staff after this season. Many Clemson boosters love RichRod from his time as OC there under Tommy Bowden and are chomping at the bit to get him back as the head man. With the lack of size of players in the ACC, I think Rich can be very successful at Clemson and lead them to a BCS Bowl.
Chat Wolverines will continue to let you in on the latest Michigan football rumors this summer and throughout the season. Know this.